How do you deal with your in laws that always interferes on raising your little one?

28 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I always welcome advice from anybody, not just in-laws. I don't subscribe 100% to "only you know what's best" because the decision on what's best had some input & different experiences shared by other people (your pedia, relatives, friends, and family). If it's all for love or for the welfare of your child, I tend to be accommodating and I collect whatever insights I can from anybody. In our case, though, I'm dealing with in-laws who have less healthy, less smart & even bad influence or decisions when it comes to my kids. It's like I'm the one "interfering" with these rules. They insist on instant noodles & hotdogs/ other processed food as regular meals and they'll go out and buy softdrinks even if my kids haven't tasted them before. I told them no junk food and I insist on fruits and healthy eating instead of chocolates at 11:30 so they won't wonder why the kids don't want to eat lunch. That's not a difference in beliefs on upbringing, just a mindless way of living life and replicating their irresponsible mess onto the next generation. When they made my children tell me that they drank iced tea when it's really Coke, that poked the bear. So that kind of interference warranted my refusal to let them see my kids or limit their time with them from then on. I'd tell them straight up that me & my then-yaya's efforts for months and years will just go to waste with their rotten practices. Since then I've always used my prerogative as mom to make decisions on a whim, like, "Nope, they're not going with you because [insert incident here]."

Read more