2 year old tantrums

How do you calm your toddler down? My 2-year old son demands to get what he wants, when he wants, all the time. I guess that's the case to most toddlers but I'd say my boy's a bit different. If we say 'no' or if we ask him to wait, he'd throw things, cry aloud or lay down on the floor crying. We had him checked and he's completely healthy (no adhd or anything like that). Sometimes, I just feel so guilty as I also tend to lose my patience.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Sounds like terrible two! At this age, they do not know how to express themselves so they resort to throwing tantrums. Their young brains cannot handle extreme emotions. It is the time where they get a lot of "no" like no climbing, no running across the road alone etc and they probably don't like it. What you can do is ignore his tantrum. Do not acknowledge it unless he is hurting another person. Yelling or attempting to subdue with affection makes tantrums last longer. You can praise him when he didn't throw tantrum when you tell him "no". This behavior will gradually decrease as time passes by (around the age of 4) when they are more advance in their motor and language skills.

Read more
8y ago

Thanks mommy! The problem is, he seems to know the perfect places for him to throw tantrums like in the mall, in the movie house, inside the restaurant, etc. We did try to ignore him but he can cry for longer than 20 minutes and that worries me. I guess y