Baby says mama and mum mum

Hihi,baby now 12months being saying mama and mum mum since 8 months. I tried to let him know mama is me. I tried to avoid baby language like eating,grandparents kept telling him mum mum. So idk will he get confuse with mama and mum mum... I tried to explain to both sides but doesn't work... so when they said mum mum meaning eating to baby. .I just kept telling baby,food food,eat... Isit ok not to correct? Tiring to do this everytime...Will they outgrow and address me correctly certain age?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

they will outgrow it. don't worry too much. as long as you keep doing what you are doing, they will certainly pick up when they are of age. my #2 only says papa and will also call me papa despite knowing me as mama. and will only call mama when he really really wants my attention or get scolded by the father. he knows both mamam and eat means food. he's 18 months now. children are smart they will learn proper word eventually. so if your parents/inlaw kept saying mamam infront of you to your child, you just say, "ah ma/ah gong asking you want to eat? eat food you want?" while showing the eating sign language. sign language is also another way of interacting and letting your child understand there's other ways of communicating also. just don't worry to much la hor. you keep using proper words and sentences. saying mamam all this will eventually be forgotten the moment the children go to school. and they will pick up proper words.

Read more
TapFluencer

my Baby Call me mama he called my grandma Ah Ma 😅 so we will Always Say mam mam so ans show him Sign so he doesn't get Confused for both words. his only 9m and he can only Say 3 words clearly so Try to speak more to him show Sign so he doesn't get Confused

Mama and Mum mum are different words and sounds. They will know the difference. And I agree with you that it is best to avoid baby talk but don't hate on it completely. You just keep on continuing your way on your side.

they will outgrow it, i believe most of us has grown up this way too. try associating mum mum (eat) with hand gesture so he knows. and mama you point at yourself

Yes just keep on talking .