Hihi any idea what could have caused a 6mo on fm to puke (Merlion) after milk feed while burping?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Does it always happen or this is a one time off incident ? If it is a one time off incident I think you don't have to worry. It could be her digestion was not so good that day and also she probably suck in too much air during feeding. Maybe you need to burp her a few time during her feed.My gal used to burp milk out after feeding and it stop naturally after 7 months. When she could sit upright without assistance it got better naturally. If she always burp milk then she could have reflux problem which there is nothing much you can do and just wait for them to outgrow it. If it is serious puking everyone like Merlion kind PD will prescribe medicine for reflux. Another method to prevent reflux is to hold baby uptight or at least 45 degrees for about 15 mins after she drinks milk. Sometimes I will wait a while for the milk to go down before I burp her, if I burp her immediately after drinking she will surely puke some milk out .

Read more

Have you started weaning. There's a likelihood that baby could be having indigestion or baby drinks too fast. Also by 6 months baby should be able to burp on their own, there's no need to help baby to burp. If baby cries too much before bottling, baby will also vomit milk out due to the amount of air swallowed and then coming out. As they are capable of burping on their own, additional help may cause the expulsion of air to be even stronger. Keep baby slightly elevated when bottling and only put baby down after 15 mins. Ensure FM is not too cold. Always check temperature before giving and let baby drink slowly. If baby is gulping down milk, the milk flow maybe too fast for baby and you want to consider giving the smaller teat till baby is ready to accept a bigger sized teat.

Read more

If it happens again, see a pediatrician. Just to make sure that it's not stomach flu. It happen to my lo before. Puke like merlion after drinking milk and doc says it's stomach flu

8y ago

Hi mummy, for stomach flu, what did ur pd prescribe?

VIP Member

Could baby have overdrank or drank too fast? Did you also move baby really quickly when burping?

8y ago

Hmm din move baby, only hold her to sit up after finish milk n she Merlion when burp.

Can try burping every 50ml during feeding.