Hi there mummies. I'm wondering if a baby can be allergic to breastmilk?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

No, babies cannot be allergic to breast milk. However, they can develop an allergy or intolerance that appears to be a breast milk allergy. In most cases, these problems can simply be solved through a chance in the mother's diet. One common source of an allergy involving breast milk is dairy. The casein proteins in milk and other dairy products affect 2 to 3 percent of babies and can cause gas, abdominal pain, rash around mouth or anus, diarrhoea and irritability. Other food can also cause an allergic reaction include peanuts and soy. It is important not to stop breastfeeding unless absolutely necessary, since breast milk provides the best nutrition for developing babies in their first 6 months of life. If you are nursing an allergic baby, you may be able to reintroduce dairy once baby is 6 months or older, many babies outgrow milk allergies then. A few rate disorders exists in which baby cannot continue to breastfeed due to difficulty in digesting part of the breast milk - Galactosemia.

Read more

No it is not your breastmilk your baby is allergic to, rather it could be something in your diet. One way of finding out what it is, is to start eliminating types of food from your diet. If your husband is allergic to any types of foods, eliminate those too. Your baby could very well be allergic to something he is allergic to.

Read more

No, i don't think so. Breast milk are the best for the babies. However, if they do develop any rashes or allergies, monitor them 1st. Usually, it could b due to mummy's diet rather than the breast milk itself. It's important to continue breastfeeding babies as it is believed to be the most nutritious milk for them.

Read more

Baby will not be allergic to the breastmilk itself. But they can get allergies via what the mums eat. For example if the mum ate to much seafoods and all of sudden her baby gets allergies, it's not because of the breastmilk but the seafoods.

VIP Member

I think they're more allergic to what mum eats before breastfeed her baby. However, breastmilk will contain even a litlt part of it. Like if your baby allergic to eggs and you just eat an omelete, your baby might have reaction to it.

thanks