I want to try baby led weaning for my 6 month old son but am afraid he might choke on his food. Any advice from mummies who've tried this with their LOs?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I started with papaya which was very ripe. Baby could take it well but holding it was a problem so I decided not to remove the skin next time. Other first foods can include bananas, pear, potato, broccoli, carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin or squash. Before you even start, make sure you fully understand the difference between choking and gagging. When baby chokes he turns blue and is unable to cough or make any sound, gagging causes face to turn red, and baby may cough or vomit but it's very normal. Please arm yourself with first aid skills on how to deal with baby if he chokes. You can view them from YouTube. Constantly remind baby to chew by showing him yourself making chewing actions and watch out for large pieces of food but never at any time try to dig it out with your fingers as it may cause food to be pushed down the throat and baby may choke. They will know how to spit it out when they can't swallow it. And also note that drier foods tend to cause more gagging. For my daughter it's potato and sweet potato. She does well with all other foods mentioned including peaches and nectarines. Just do it!

Read more