Is there any Mums here who ever tried Baby Led Weaning methods for her baby? I want to know the results! Planning to try this method for my baby.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You can borrow books on BLW to understand the rational behind so to prepare yourself how to educate your own family members. Also, you can list out the food that you want to start up with from the suggestions given in the book. I find internet information on BLW are too scattering for me to gather a complete picture. In addition it will be a plus point if you got time to attend a first aid training on infant and baby, especially on how to handle chocking. For me I also watched youtube videos on real baby doing BLW so to understand how does it looks like when baby is gagging instead of choking. With this I feel more confident when doing the BLW. I also joined local BLW FB group to have mummies supports whenever I have any doubts and I can refer to recipes in the group. Also, it is good to communicate with your partner and family members on your intention to do BLW as older generation they do traditional ways of weaning and not heard of BLW before. I believe family support is very important as they will participate together instead of become a hindrance to BLW journey. Finally, get a baby chair, bib that can catch dropping food and weaning tray for baby to start the BLW journey.

Read more

A few of my friend have tried it. One main benefit is that food preparation is fast and easy since it usually only involved cutting and steaming fruits or vegetables. While it can get messy, their babies appeared to be more interested in eating and having fun while at it. Also, after their babies got the idea, they started eating together with them and as a family whenever possible. It made dinner time a great bonding session for the family. On of the main concern is about choking and they advised that one should always be with the baby when the baby is try to eat. Another friend actually did a mix of baby-led weaning and also spoon feeding. This is because their family eats out rather frequently and she wanted to be able to feed her baby while outside to minimize the mess. Her baby had no issue having a mix of both methods. An added advantage (she feels) is that she could also feed purees, cereal and porridge easily to her baby. When her baby was older, she would spoon these and encourage her baby to feed himself.

Read more

I will not attempt baby led weaning as I feel that it is too messy and babies are not actually eating. I find that they are encouraged to play with food and not eat them. My elder boy had traditional weaning and he is doing fine. He self fed himself with spoon since 2 years old with only a little mess here and there but generally alright. Definitely choosing traditional weaning for my second born as they will get the nutrition they need instead of feeding the floor and I don't have to clean up the mess after every feed. Even when doing traditional weaning, they still learn how to self feed without any problem. My son is 6 months now and he is able to eat biscuits and puffs by himself so I don't find baby led weaning useful.

Read more
VIP Member

I'm intending to do BLW for my daughter because I've seen how kids can't or are too lazy to feed themselves when they are weaned traditionally. Baby led weaning lets the baby decide what and how much to ingest. It will be messy and it will be a while before the child learns to eat properly, but persevere and reap the benefits of having your kid eat his meal quietly at the same table as you.

Read more