Hi Mommies, my baby is turning 6 months this June and will be starting to eat solids. May I know what are the do's and don'ts in feeding my baby and what fruits/veggies do I give him?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hope you are breastfeeding till now. If so, start the solids with some fruit purees mixed with breast milk; so that baby gets used to the taste. Mashed veggies - potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, peas, pumpkin etc. Fruits puree or mashed - apple, avocado, banana, plums etc. Make it a habit to introduce one new item every time and continue till 3 days at least; it makes sure to find out if the item is ok with your lo or he has any allergy. Apart from fruits and veggies, you can go for rice cereals (sometimes mixed with veggies such as broccoli or spinach). Fish would be the best first meat. Introduce in less quantities initially, as babies happen to constipate when introduced to solids. Find attached some don't that I have followed for my lo weaning.

Read more
Post reply image
VIP Member

Have you check out, whether you want try Baby lead weaning or traditional way? Different baby adapt differently, so i will suggest, letting baby taste the pure taste of the food so baby won't relay on the milk too much. Unless baby is not ok, than u mix a bit of milk and try again. Start with simple one that have lesser allergies reaction like apple, pear, carrot, avocado, pumpkin, sweet potato, potato. Slowly try broccoli, cauliflower, kales, bittergourd, wintermelon, honeydew, kiwi, dragonfruits, etc.

Read more

You can start with simple and basic food like oatmeal or rice cereal. You can also puree carrots, peaches, apples, sweet potatoes, green beans, peas, and yellow squash/zucchini. Some parents also try softer fruits like banana. Try a different mixture of tastes and textures. The website offers links to detailed information on how to prepare and the nutritional values for baby food to start with: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/stage1_homemade_baby_food_recipes.htm

Read more

Just to add on, you can consider starting the process by mixing small amounts of mashed vegetables or fruits or cereal with breast milk. This may help baby to get used to the idea of having solids. Some things to note would be to not have any salt and sugar in the food. Also, cow milk should only be introduced after the baby is past one year old.

Read more