Hi, my baby (6 months old) is supposed to go for his vaccination tomorrow . But he is still having flu. I've called clinic and the nurse said as long as he is not having fever is ok . But if I don't feel comfortable about it, to postpone to next week. So is best to delay one week, right?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

yes ! better ! personal experience think all mummies should take note: my baby at 3 months was due for vaccine . when to the clinic, amazingly he passed the entry despite covid new protocol need check temperature all, after injection his fever went up so high had to be admitted 2 days later and found out he was already not well (not drinking well, and poop was greenish and thought was normal) but did the vaccine anyways. 2nd scenario: due for his 6 month’s jab i checked his temp before leaving the house, he was already 37.6 but i did go to the clinic still, again he passed the entry. so when the nurse wanted to administer the vaccine i said no, check his temperature first. initially she was very reluctant, started nagging said if he was having fever he could NOT enter THE PREMISES, so i demanded her to check. true enough still having fever and so i requested to check his temperature EVERYTIME before administering anything by indicating in his profile. i don’t believe the temperature scanner they have in polyclinics. so, moral of the story, if you feel your baby is not well, just don’t go to get the vaccine, your child will get sick, worst!

Read more
VIP Member

I experienced the same thing! My baby was fussy on the day she is scheduled to take her vaccine and because of that we delayed it to one week til she fully recovered. Agreed that it's about the importance the baby will get vaccine that she needs. Actually I've heard our health worker told us about the thing called "catch up". It's when a baby/ toddler can catch up with the immunisation she was not able to get for some reasons when she turns 1 yr old or 15 months. Be sure to see the table provided in this link as it shows the schedule for catch up immunization For persons age 4 months through 18 years who start late or who are more than 1 month behind: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/catchup.html The schedule is printable too! :)

Read more
VIP Member

From what most polyclinics and paediatricians have advised, it is okay for LO to have vaccinations if they have slight flu/cough - as long as it's not viral (many different causes) or having fever as those might affect their immune system's ability to formulate a plan against what you've vaccinated against! Whatever it is, remember that vaccinations are NOT 100% guaranteed that you won't get whatever you vaccinated against - vaccines are meant as "training" for the body to learn how to fight against it if it ever contracts the real thing.

Read more

Just to share my experience, I've brought my baby for vaccination when he's having flu. We brought him to the polyclinic for his vaccines. We informed the nurse that he's having runny nose and cough, so the nurse arranged us to consult the doctor before the vaccine. The doctor said the same thing, as long as there's no fever it's ok to go ahead with the vaccination. My baby is totally fine after the vaccination. As what Jacq had mentioned, it's really if you are uncomfortable with it, you can defininately postpone to a later date.

Read more

What I've heard is the same as what the nurse has advised you. However, if you are uncomfortable, you can postpone it to a later date. The important point is that your child would receive the vaccination. With regard to how long to delay, it will probably be dependent on how your baby is feeling? Or you could seek advice from your doctor. One week sounds about right to me if your baby is already showing signs of recovery. Hope he feels better soon!

Read more

No issue for vaccination to be delayed one or two weeks. Pls don't take vaccination even baby has slight fever, cold or any problems.If we take vaccination when baby has any illness, then there is chances for baby to get seizures. So better to wait baby to be healthy.

As my experience, it is ok to get vaccine even ur child having flu as long the temperature no over 38.5 degree celcius.

yup.u can delay them. flu is ok actually as long as no fever. but if u wanna postpone also can

if you like, you can delay it. but the six month is just Vitamin A drop not injecctionl

You should delay when the baby is sick.