Help, my 6mo is starting to eat solids. I've noticed a definite drop in her interest for breast milk (when she nurses and when I give her a bottle). Before she would drink 3-4oz at one go without a problem. Now we'll be lucky if we got her to finish 2oz. The frequency between feeds has also gotten longer. With solids, she would push the food around in the mouth and then spit it out. The only thing she would take are soups, and only a few teaspoons. She has put on only 0.3kg in the last month. Is she on a nursing strike? How do I get her to eat more? The pediatrician didn't seem too concerned.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

since your baby has just started other foods, it is natural that she will want to nurse less. however, since you want her to have breastmilk too in more quantity than she has now, i would suggest you add it to other foods. i used to add breastmilk to her purees, mashed foods, rice, absolutely anything almost while we were introducing her to new foods. it helped her get her dose of breastmilk and also made it easier for her to try new foods as she found a similar taste because of the breastmilk. also, if your doctor is fine with her weight gain, i think you don't need to worry so much :)

Read more