Hello Mummies. My baby is 10 months old now and I'm doing BLW with her. Right now I am guiding her to self feed using fork and spoon for Rice with soup and when she's eating noodles. But she prefers to use her hands instead and will not drink the soup. How do i get her to hold the fork and spoon? She throws it every time I try :(

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

One of my friends shared that she will help to teach her baby by placing her hands on her daughter's to guide her daughter. This will teach her daughter how to scoop the food and bring it to her mouth. She also eats together with her daughter so that her daughter can model after her. Another tip she shared was to start with food that has a thicker consistency. She suggested yogurt (which was the main food she used when teaching her daughter how to use a spoon) as it is not as watery as compared to soup. Soup could be daunting as the baby's coordination may not be as good yet. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Read more
8y ago

Perhaps she is not ready yet. Some of my friends only started giving spoons and forks after 1 year old. Perhaps you can take a break from the utensils first (but perhaps just placing them on the table to let her see that they are available) so as to tak

Hi there, I found this baby feeding video on youtube (link below) and I found it super informative. It's important to establish the link between utensil and the mouth by lots of practice. Initially you can guide her along but subsequently, you should let baby hold the spoon and even if she throws it away, pick it up, wash it and let baby try again. It will messy but apparently it's part of the learning process :) Think your baby is doing well for her age, just keep encouraging her :) https://youtu.be/XoVfF3BACvA

Read more
8y ago

Hi mummy, thanks for the link. I'll check it out and do as advised! Thanks heaps! :)