Have you ever been so happy before that you can't help but feel scared, because you know a "crash" is inevitable?

22 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think it is possible that being too happy can lead to feeling scared or sad. It is ironic but not impossible. This is because we often view happiness as a goal to achieve and it serves as a motivating factor for one to work towards their target (e.g., better work-life balance, happy family, good performance at work etc). Hence, if one feels that their goals has been achieved (i.e. feeling happy and satisfied with life), that leads the to question of “what’s next?”. That idea itself could be terrifying since it brings about uncertainty. It could also be our mind’s defense mechanism in preparing us for negative outcomes – cautious optimism. Therefore, despite being happy with our current state, we remain aware of the possibility of negative outcomes that can prevent us from being complacent with the current state.

Read more

Yes, sometimes I worry if there is anything bad will happen. But I tell myself, even if I keep worry I can't do anything to avoid it to happen if it does. Thus, I think positively always using the rule of living in the moment. If you keep on having negative thoughts and feelings, I suggest you to read up some motivational books e.g. Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive to count your blessings and having a positive attitude in life.

Read more
Post reply image

You should fully enjoy the present, by thinking like this you are spoiling your present also. Who knows about future, ups and downs are part and parcel of life. You can never be happy and live your life if you keep on fretting about unknown future. Be little optimistic, if crash is inevitable so is another round of happiness

Read more

Yeah, the tingling at the back of your mind that goes like "This can't last". I find that the best way is the "wean" yourself off the feeling. Calm down and work on routine tasks and bring some normalcy in your life so that the moment a negative event occurs you will not crash.

Yes, I have. And it can be a crippling, paralyzing fear. I've realized that the best thing to do in these situations is to focus on being grateful for all of the joy in your life, and know that whatever happens in the future, you had this moment of feeling so happy.

VIP Member

Thinking about it, I think I haven't yet. But I think that is just normal because our mind has its way of thinking about what's next. So just enjoy the feeling of happiness while it's there. We're all going to experience different emotions anyway. :)

Yeah it's very normal, specially at the moment when you realize that this is the peak of happiness and it's going to decline and slowly fade away, that's a scary moment. But then it's part of life so it should be taken very normally.

Yes I have felt that way before and I think it's quite normal. But that depends on how often you feel such elation and then such lows? This could also be bipolar - so would keep an eye on what you are experiencing.

All the time, but sometimes you just gotta live in the moment. Worrying won't stop the bad stuff from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good.

I've learned throughout the years to relish in the moment and not let fear diminish the joys of today because of an imaginary future that may not come.