Has your child been bullied? If yes, how did you deal with it as a parent?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My girl used to get bully in school as she is petite in size, there was 3 times she came home with teeth marks, broken skin on her finger (the boy slam the drawer while she was taking her toys, wound on her lower Chin. First, I will ask her how it happens and how did she reacted towards. Understand why she is afraid to stand up for herself, brainstorming together on how to handle the same issues better. After that, I went to the school personally to tell the teacher about the incident right in front of my girl on what will be my action if the same case happened again. I will role play with my girl on different scenarios about bully and how we can handle them or get help from teacher. Mulan, brave are some movies which I used to tell my girl she is bigger and stronger than what she think she is. Last week, she just come home and tell me how she "protect" her schoolmate when other kids make fun of her by calling the poor little girl "rubbish" etc. Role model from Mommy is important too. There was once a young girl was harassed by a group of boys in MRT. I stood up for her by telling the boys if they don't stop the harassment, I will get police or report to their school about their actions. Most of all lot of assurances, they are not what people think of them and build their confidence by developing their talents. Often, lacks of confidence is the root cause of being bully by others.

Read more

my elder one was bullied a lot during one of her grade and initially i did not realize it was the case. when i did find out, i made sure to take it up with the school management. they also called the parents of the child who was bullying and everything was clarified in front of the parents. it is important to put a stop to bullying immediately. i told my child that if someone behaves like that, she should not get afraid but should immediately speak to a teacher nearby, or definitely speak to parents at home. also, i helped her become more confident of herself, so that others would not get a chance to make her feel scared.

Read more

yes, initially my child was being bullied. the moment i found out, i listened to her properly and then met with the school authorities. these days, authorities are very careful and take immediate action against even the smallest mention of bullying. i told them that my idea was not to punish the bully but to make him/her understand that this is not right and has to stop. they did speak to the child and the parents. also, i have taught my child to not be afraid of someone and stand up to what she feels is right. it takes time but it is surely helping.

Read more

Always be there to listen to them. It's important never be too quick to judge or berate them or assume that it being bullied was somehow their fault. It's also important to tell children to talk to their teachers to report incidences of bullying.

It would be a lot better if you educate your child in these type of cases just to let them be aware that it is an issue, or if it would help, let them watch videos about bullying and what they did to prevent it.

Sometimes I feel like I'll explode if my son gets bullied. other times I try my best to handle it calmly.