Prenatal depression

Has anyone went through prenatal depression? How did u found out u had depression? And what did you do?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was emotional pretty much the entire pregnancy. it's my first baby, first trim I had very bad nausea and felt like my husband was not caring enough, second trim I was not sure where to start in prepping for baby's arrival and was feeling overwhelmed, final trim I was anxious about baby arriving and dread being away from work for so long during maternity. I was crying at the slightest thing like a sad movie scene and minor arguments with my husband as there was just so much on my mind. However, I didn't have any suicidal or self harming thoughts so I did not see the need to seek any treatment, I guess it was just the preggy raging hormones. Hope you are feeling ok and hang in there! It will be all worth it when you see your little bundle of joy 😊 Try to talk to mummy friends too (positive ones), it helps. If u do feel very dark then there's no harm seeking treatment too.

Read more

Hello! If you have the slightest feeling that you might need to talk to someone, you could go down to any polyclinic and let the staff know you need a referral for some help. It's completely OK to seek help - just to share I took the same route when I thought I needed only counselling but I was diagnosed with depression and Trauma (pregnancy related but not prenatal). I requested for a KKH referral when I was at the polyclinic because they have a clinic for children and women's psychological health. The process doesn't take long :) I thought of going to private practice where they may have more tools and resources to help, but it can be a lot more costly. There's absolutely nothing wrong with seeking help and talking to someone to find out why you're feeling this way. Take care ❤️

Read more

hi there, i did not get myself clinically diagnosed but i had really bad prenatal anxiety in my first trimester. it is probably partly due to hormones, but also i was very fearful of losing my baby. i cried a lot and was very miserable, and then i will go google stuff which makes things worse and then i will get more emotional and cry again. i only started to feel better after talking to my family and gynae. the first (and often hardest) step is actually to talk to someone about it, and then you can assess if you need more help. AWARE also offers affordable counseling services if you want to give it a try!

Read more