Bad cough / itchy throat / random coughing fit. 2nd trimester. What off the shelf med is safe?

Had a fever last week which I took Paracetamol that I bought from hospital.. now that there’s no fever it developed into a cough. Will go into a coughing fit when my throat is triggered eg dry (already spamming loads of water so ok) or suddenly very itchy somehow it’s uncontrollable.. idk if it affects baby cos even my lower pelvic muscle also feel ache w the cough.. once the spree is over I’m back to normal. Just a lot of phlegm Any mommies experienced same before and took OTS meds to rid the cough? Still haven’t got the chance to go GP, thinking of self medicating first

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I did honey + onion remedy. Safe to consume during pregnancy. The benefits are thinning of mucus and soothe your throat. It has helped me. I had cough since early January and it was damn bad. I only started finding this remedy from a friend. Did it early February, i am better today. Less cough and been clearing my phlegm. I am 33 weeks pregnant when i consumed this remedy. You need to find a jar. 1 big onion (cut into pieces) Pure Honey Put everything together in a jar and makesure the honey submerge the onion okie. Once done, let it infused for an hour at room temperature. You can place the jar in the fridge afterwards... Once in fridge, you can keep it for 2 weeks. Take one spoonful a day until you feel better! Hope this helps and get well soon.

Read more

I had bad cough for almost one month too. The cough fits were so bad that I involuntarily leaked for quite a bit. The cough syrup that Doctor prescribed me did not help my condition at all. Personally, I tried hot ginger water. Just slice ginger into pieces and boil it in water. Drink it for a few days.. Hopefully it helps in your case. Wish you a speedy recovery soon!

Read more
3mo ago

Did u leak amniotic fluid ?

Same. 2nd trimester have this sickness for 2 weeks straight. Went to gp 3 times all the medicine simple doesnt work for me at all 1) augmentin 2) atrizin 3)Zrytec 4) dexcophan 5) bisolvon Im on the urge to just go a&e keep on whooping breatheless cough follow by vomitting phelgm every day. Both nose and throat phelgm is thick and green 😭😭😭😭

Read more

I am having coughing fits these days too :( pity my baby having to go through a roller-coaster ride everytime I cough. Doc gave me Dextromethorphan for my cough, which I take on and off, and honey lemon tea to soothe the throat. Just try to avoid sugary food and drinks that will exacerbate your cough. That was my mistake 😣

Read more

I went to the TCM physician to get better. 1 month of cough with lotsa phlegm led to bad appetite and lack of sleep and resulted in baby growth slowed down at the start of my third trimester. Now my baby is back on track. I'm 38 weeks pregnant counting down to see my baby.

Head to the doc, don't self medicate. Touch wood if anything happens, you'll be blaming yourself.

TapFluencer

🙏💕