Breastfeeding

Hi guys! My lo is 6 days old today and she is always latching on me from 12mn to 5am at least even though in between isn't her feeding time. Does anyone experience this? How can I adjust her schedule? Is that also the reason why when I pump I don't have enough breast milk?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Latching should only last 15-20mins.. It's comfort latching for your LO. It will be tough on you if you continue to let her comfort latch. Seek professional for more advice on how to stop it...

Super Mum

Make sure she's actually sucking properly and able to get the milk out. If she's sucking properly she's probably latching for comfort, not because she's hungry. Will she cry if you unlatch?

My lo is 3 weeks old and he does this too. I know he's getting enough milk cos sometimes when he drinks too much, he will throw up some. So I'm guessing it's just comfort latching..?

4y ago

I thought so but it's quite long though

TapFluencer

She might just be comfort latching. Is she swallowing/her latch is good? No reason for them to latch on so long, according to the lactation consultant at the hosp.

4y ago

Ya I can hear her swallowing.

TapFluencer

Btw. The amount you get when you pump is not indicative if how much milk there is in your boobs.

Super Mum

U can hire a lactation consultant which my wife did to help. She can give advice on how to train the lo

4y ago

Can u recommend which one u all use?

VIP Member

I think your LO is having comfort latching

Super Mum

Nope