Labour room

Ftm here. Ill be delivering at KKH in sept. Read alot of people went thru long hours of labour, especially if its their first pregnancy. Assuming ill be having a normal delivery. Since i have zero experience, Is there anything i should expect or take note of during labour ? Do we pee and poo as per normal in between ? As im the type that pees and poo very easily. Heard that by 8cm or something they wont allow us to use the bathroom, what if we need to pee/poo? Since labour is long hours, are we allowed to eat anything ? And how often will nurse check on us, our dilation etc. Is there instances where im already 10cm dilated but nurse or dr is not in the room? And how long do you usually need to push before baby is out and any tips for minimal tear? #FTM

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My recent second pregnancy was at KKH, vaginal and with gas/epidural. I exceed EDD and was suppose to be induced on 10/Feb but I was decline due to priority given to other urgent cases. I was 3cm dilate, mild contractions and was only admitted at 1230am (midnight) on 11/Feb. I only give birth at 902am. I did had lunch and last dinner at 6pm on same day 10/Feb. Before I go labour, I drink lots of water, go toilet. Both pregnancy during labour I had no urge to pee/poo (so I cannot explain 🤣) When your dilation almost reached 10cm, seriously no way you can pee/poo, they ask you do in bed. Dr/Nurse will check you every few hours, they will have call button if you need anything you can press and let them know. There are many labour rooms, yet minimal staff therefore not all attention goes to only one person. If you are 10cm dilate, no doctor definitely there will be midwife. Unless, gynae wants to receive baby without midwife or under patient request. I was on subsidy so midwife was with me, nurse as well as on duty doctor. It took me 3 to 4 pushes. My advice to avoid tearing, don't lift your butt up, otherwise the tearing will be huge till butthole. So be careful. If labour too long, you have low pain tolerance level take the medication help like jab, gas, epidural to reserve the energy you have. Not everyone can endure long labour, you are tired with not enough sleep, no food drinks. Don't push until it is 10cm and you feel the urge to push with contractions. Otherwise do not push. You will get tired.

Read more