Labour room

Ftm here. Ill be delivering at KKH in sept. Read alot of people went thru long hours of labour, especially if its their first pregnancy. Assuming ill be having a normal delivery. Since i have zero experience, Is there anything i should expect or take note of during labour ? Do we pee and poo as per normal in between ? As im the type that pees and poo very easily. Heard that by 8cm or something they wont allow us to use the bathroom, what if we need to pee/poo? Since labour is long hours, are we allowed to eat anything ? And how often will nurse check on us, our dilation etc. Is there instances where im already 10cm dilated but nurse or dr is not in the room? And how long do you usually need to push before baby is out and any tips for minimal tear? #FTM

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My recent second pregnancy was at KKH, vaginal and with gas/epidural. I exceed EDD and was suppose to be induced on 10/Feb but I was decline due to priority given to other urgent cases. I was 3cm dilate, mild contractions and was only admitted at 1230am (midnight) on 11/Feb. I only give birth at 902am. I did had lunch and last dinner at 6pm on same day 10/Feb. Before I go labour, I drink lots of water, go toilet. Both pregnancy during labour I had no urge to pee/poo (so I cannot explain šŸ¤£) When your dilation almost reached 10cm, seriously no way you can pee/poo, they ask you do in bed. Dr/Nurse will check you every few hours, they will have call button if you need anything you can press and let them know. There are many labour rooms, yet minimal staff therefore not all attention goes to only one person. If you are 10cm dilate, no doctor definitely there will be midwife. Unless, gynae wants to receive baby without midwife or under patient request. I was on subsidy so midwife was with me, nurse as well as on duty doctor. It took me 3 to 4 pushes. My advice to avoid tearing, don't lift your butt up, otherwise the tearing will be huge till butthole. So be careful. If labour too long, you have low pain tolerance level take the medication help like jab, gas, epidural to reserve the energy you have. Not everyone can endure long labour, you are tired with not enough sleep, no food drinks. Don't push until it is 10cm and you feel the urge to push with contractions. Otherwise do not push. You will get tired.

Read more

I had an assisted delivery using vacuum at kkh HAHAH.. I recommend you to voice out and switch nurses if you feel like ur nurse is the newbie one. During my time at the delivery room, there was this nurse that kept trying to find my vein and poking me all sorts of way on top of my contractions and it hurt like hell. my husband was the one who voiced out to the nurse and eventually she stopped poking me but left me swollen lol. so dont be afraid to voice out if u hv any concerns yea. next , dont be scared to take an epidural. go for it to enjoy your birth experience more. trust me it helps alot. but at the same time, it has some future effects on ur back thats all. yes i wanted to pee during labour and the nurse brought like a cardboard basin thingy for u too pee and honestly the experience was not bad šŸ˜‚. you are not allowed to eat anyt during labour but i did ask for water and the nurse said a few sips is fine. nurse checks on me every 30 mins/1hr yes , but dont worry if ur 10cm dilated the nurse wouldve came in and checked already . or if u feel like pushing already u can always press the button to call the nurses. my baby was 3.5kg n i was pushing for 1hr30 mins at first to bring his head down n 20 mins with assisted delivery using vacuum once the doctor came in. the doc snipped down below. but i know some tips which is dont lift ur butt up. and keep ur head down to ur chest to help push the baby out. GOODLUCK w your delivery and congrats!

Read more
VIP Member

No food or drink babe. If your bladder is full, they will empty it using a bed pan. Same with stools. That will ease your labour. I had a super long labour before. I can endure the pain, but not the hunger. šŸ˜… more than 6hrs, I am only 2cm dilated.. another 4hrs only 3cm dilated. In all, I spent a longggg time in the delivery suite. If you went for your growth scan & gynae didnā€™t say anything abt you having a big baby, then donā€™t worry about any tearing. Even the midwives are skilled šŸ’šŸ½ā€ā™€ļø

Read more
10mo ago

Just endure. I did ask for water.. given once for a few sips & thatā€™s it. Others whine about the contraction pain, but I kept complaining about my hunger to hubby. šŸ„“

I gave birth at TMC. Induced. I wasnā€™t allowed food, once contractions hits, pretty much wonā€™t have the mood to go toilet. 6 hours from inducing till labour. When I was 7cm dilated, the nurses will teach me how to push and then ask me to try pushing before the doctor arrives. Took me 10 mins.