My friend told me that cod liver oil is no good for kid..cod oil is better.. issit true.. can any mummy advice..

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Both are 2 different oils even though they might come from the same type of fish and have a similar fatty acid profile. Cod or fish oil in general is extracted from the flesh of tuna, herring, cod and other deep-sea oily fish species. Fish oil is rich in omega 3 fatty acids but not that much vitamin A or D. On the other hand, cod liver oil specifically comes from the liver of the cod fish. It contains lesser omega-3 fatty acids but is very rich in vitamins A and D. So it really depends on what you are looking to "equip" your child with. Both are good in their own right. If your child doesn't spend too much time outside, cod liver oil is great for vitamin D.

Read more

Both my toddlers (5, 2.5) have been consuming cod liver oil (original) since they turned 1 yo. They rarely fall sick as compared to the other children. I will think that other than supplements, the children must eat more fruits, veg and exercise more. I feel that If all the nutrients are absorbed then actually supplements are not even necessary.

Read more