When to have first checkup

First time parent here. We wanted and prefer to see the heartbeat on the first checkup/scan. Today, it's 5 weeks and 2 days. The question is "is 6th week checkup enough to see the heartbeat? Or 7th is better to make sure?" What is the recommended timing?

When to have first checkup
18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Best is to go at 8 weeks & above if there is no painful cramps or bleeding! That's when everything is much more clearer. You may not see anything or hear your baby's heartbeat if you go earlier and then it'll only make you worry.

VIP Member

It depends. I was able to see the heartbeat at w5d6 scan. But for some you don't see that early n it's better to wait until week 8. Do start on the folic acid tablet asap if not yet started. Congratulations 🎉

For first time parent, suggest week 7 or earlier. cause I had experience bleeding the week before and went for doc checkup. turn out need injection and bed rest. baby was fine.

Best to go on the 8th week. Usually on the 7th weeks and earlier, doc will do vaginal scan and might ask u to come back 2 weeks later for another scan.

i have a thick stomach skin and i went on my 6w6d and i cn see the heartbeat through abdomen scan.... and hear the heartbeat as well.

I went on my 6th week. You can call up on Gynae clinic go get advice on when doctor would like to see you! Congrats! 🥳

VIP Member

Went on my 6th week and doc used vaginal scan which i dont like..go 8th week and above ao can scan on tummy instead..

thanks everyone for your insight. we booked 7w1d we hope we see by then.

My wife went on 8w6d, do vaginal scan and able to hear the heartbeat, hehe

Go on the 8th & remember to take folic for your first trimester.