Labour & Epidural

First time mom here. How do you deal with the thoughts of labor? I have been reading, watching birth vlogs - not sure if I will every be ready? Can you share with me your labor stories? My husband do not want me to take epidural if possible and go all natural. But i'm not sure how is the pain going to be like.

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I would say to keep an open mind! Sometimes things don't go according to plan. I thought I'd stay home for early labour and go without any pain relief but neither of that happened. My water broke and was coming out in gushes so I did admit to the labour ward within 1-2 hours of it breaking. I waited for dilation for ages and by 20th hour I received my epidural because I was too tired and in too much pain by then to be able to push effectively. I had some laughing gas while waiting for epidural. Gas did little to relief my pain and felt a bit high. That being said, I spent a good 16-18 hours of my labour in relative comfort. I used Freya app (paid app) and focused on breathing through my earlier contractions. I walked around the entire ward every 2-3 hours. Ate every single meal given to me cause I wasn't in too much pain and since I opted out of epidural for the early stage I could eat whatever I wanted. I only had shivering for epidural. No nausea or vomiting. I felt zero pain within 5-10 mins of the injection. Felt no pain during the push; it was guided by the midwife and my gynae cause I felt nothing. They guided me when to push when the contractions were peaking. I walked around and went to pee within the first 1-2 hours post delivery. I did have soreness on the epidural injection site for up to 2 months while it healed. I know it wasn't backache from caregiving cause it was just that one spot on my spine that's achy. I'm almost 4 months pp and the only ache I have I from carrying bb all day long since I'm a solo caregiver in the day. I agree with doing what works best for you. It's your body and your well being is important. Keep an open mind, trust your instincts and your gynae's recommendations.

Read more