Interacial child

Father malay , mother chinese . Each wants the child to learn their own mother tongue . But mom have been taking care and paying for everything for the child . Is it only fair that the mother go ahead and let the child learn chinese in school? Belived that malay language can easily be picked up from grandparent or self taught at home . But the malay side might not be too happy about this.. Father is not teaching child anything or taking care as he comes home late everyday , what if we choose malay and in the future , nobody is gonna teach and guide him at home ? And i think chinese will be more useful and harder to picked up therefore i think it should be taught properly in school . Share with me ur opinion . No rights /wrong ..

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I think this needs a deeper conversation. I’m also in an inter-racial marriage. I’m eurasian and my husband is Indian. We decided on mandarin because my husband felt it would be more beneficial for them when they go into the working world. Personally, it’s a difficult language because we don’t use it every day but I help them however I can in my limited capacity. As for Bahasa, I feel that it is worth picking up and may be easier to pass too as it still uses the English alphabet for spelling although pronunciation may vary.

Read more