Epidural will caused a lot of complications for your body when you are older?

Hi everyone! I will be delivering in KKH soon and I was wondering if its true that if you take epidural, you will experience backache, high blood pressure and other health complications when you are older or in your 40s/50s? I am so scared of feeling pain and i am considering to opt for epidural for my delivery but my mother is against it as she said that i will suffer backpain etc when i reach my 40s. Any mummies in their 40s-50s who took epidural have any take about this?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, congratulations on your last leg of your pregnancy! There are many pain relives that are available during active labour. And yes epidural is one of it. Epidural comes with side effects even during labour and after labour (all depending on how your body reacts to the drug). But you’ll have to know that the epidural administered will be turned down when the delivery team sees that your body is ready to push your baby out. So you’ll still feel the pain. This is to help “queue” your pushes as your contractions come along. And the rest of the comments here are right. Even without epidural, backache will be preset well into years after you’ve given birth. It is definitely not wrong to take any pain relief, but it’s better that your decision is supported along with how confident you’ll be with it during your birth plan with your own research and knowledge. Hope this helps! And all the best ❤️

Read more