does teacher to student ratio matter that much for CCs ? realise that most hdb cc max out the ratio which means each kid gets less attention :( will it affect their mental and emotional development?will they be less expressive as a result?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It matters to me a lot as I withdrew my kid from a preschool because the Teachers couldn't handle the kids.. especially when they reached 2 years -- 3 years old, it's their most active stage 😓diapers not changed when it's so full, accidents and bruises and Teachers not sure how and why it happened, toilet training and wet their pants but Teachers didn't notice until I fetch my child and she smelled of urine.. belongings put wrongly into other classmates' bags, etc etc.. all these happened more than 2-3 times.. I went for half day trial class at another sch (Pte school), the ratio is 1:12 for N1 too, there's about 9 kids at that time, we were there from 9am til their lunch, the teacher also seems to be unable to handle the kids well, didn't manage to teach much because the kids were all over the classroom, the teacher was trying to make the kids sit down on the mat and pay attention, and you know when one kid does something, the other kids will tend to follow.. ended up I only remembered she taught the kids "today is a sunny day, today is Tuesday" and then it's time for outdoor play... during lunch there's an Asst teacher, she helped to scoop the food and the main teacher distributed it to the kids, I saw one kid was having difficulty self feeding and he made a mess out of it, teacher only realised after I sounded it out to her that he's not very good in self feeding and 1/2 the noodles were on his uniform.. 😓. Of coz end of the day I didn't register my child with this sch.. fees range is $1300-$1400..not exactly cheap!

Read more
7y ago

oh dear then did u manage to find better ratio?

I don't think that it will really affect development. Children seriously do not need so much attention to be able to clachieve those development. Some free play is good enough and of caz some interactions w teacher and friends. The ratio is more of a "personalized" "dedicated" kind of attention idea which is a good to have but not necessary unless ur child has conditions that require a lot of attention. I don't think they will be less expressive as it's not always a teacher-child expressions. Classmates comes to play too. At home I am sure parents also interact w the child and on the wkends too yar

Read more

Teacher to student ratio is for us to note that should anything happened, one teacher should be able to take note. The ratio is given as a guideline. If you are truly concern about the ratio, option is to go private school but the ratio may not be any better as preschool these days are pretty much maxed out and placed on waiting list. You can send your child for enrichment classes ie speech and drama class. Otherwise the maxed out ratio shouldn't be a problem unless the child already has pre-existing condition.

Read more
VIP Member

it's not an issue. it won't affect the development. The kids will learn to be independent on their own and learn to do things even faster themselves

7y ago

thanks Jorelle

To me its not an issue. I would not want too much attention to be placed on my child either. Too much of anything is not healthy either.