32 Replies

Jaundice is caused by having too much of a substance called bilirubin in the blood. Bilirubin is formed when the body breaks down old red blood cells. The liver usually processes and removes the bilirubin from the blood. Jaundice in babies usually occurs because of a normal increase in red blood cell breakdown and the fact that their immature livers are not efficient at removing bilirubin from the bloodstream. There is some truth to the old wives tale. Sunlight helps to break down indicrect bilirubin so that a baby's liver can process it more easily. Hold the child near a well-lit window for 10 minutes twice a day is often all that is needed to help cure mild jaundice. Or take the baby out for a short shaded walk outside. NEVER EVER place an infant in direct sunlight. In the past there were so many cases of babies being left to sun on window ledges alone for hours and accidents occur. http://www.emedicinehealth.com/script/main/mobileart-emh.asp?articlekey=58635

While the hospitals in Singapore (e.g., KTPH, KKH) seemed to suggest that sunbathing will not reduce the jaundice level effectively. The doctors in the western part of the world do suggest sunbathing as part of the home treatment that a parent can consider. I think if it is just 5-10mins of morning sun, it will not do any harm to the baby. Key is not to leave your baby for prolonged periods under harsh sunlight. Still, frequent breastfeeding is likely the best treatment recommended by doctors all around.

It helps a whole lot. My boy was meant to stay in for 72 hours. We the first 24 hours, he was under blue lights. I convinced our midwives and doctors that we should go home and settle as hospitals doesn’t sit well for me. We came in the next day to be told that we don’t have to come in anymore as his jaundice has significantly gone down. Just open the curtains and let your bubba nap next to the window (obviously not in direct sunlight). Go out for a walk with him shaded but not blocked.

sun does help... it breaks down bilirubin in the baby's skin, you may notice some babies are yellowish in color including the eyes. constant exposure to early morning sun will help get rid of these. if not then better consult with your pedia there could be an underlying cause

Nope, it doesn't. I was advised by doctors at both polyclinics and KKH not to sunbath my son because it will cause him to dehydrate. Baby has to pee frequently so that the jaundice will come down. If baby is dehydrated, there wouldn't be enough wet diapers.

Yes, sunlight helps. Remove all clothes. Use less intense morning light. 5 minutes on one side, rotate baby 5 minutes on other side. Make sure the baby is not looking at the sun directly. For anything worse than mild jaundice, seek advice from your doctor.

maybe. my baby got jaundice and goes photolight therapy for 3 days. the doctor advised to feed every 2 to 3 hours so he will poop and pee. we cannot bring him for sunbathing because its too cold in the morning, the doctor gave us vitamin d drops. he's ok now.

VIP Member

Sunlight yes. It breaks down bilirubin. That's why when extracting and transporting blood for bilirubin tests (even in adults), the syringe is preferably covered. We also use a specialized tube to store the blood to reduce breakdown by light.

Based on my experience ,its not only the sun that help reducing the jaundice but also the breasrfeeding can help to reduce it too

yes helped with my son tremendously! we usually did morning sun for about 10 minutes

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles