Subsidies

Does anyone knows if i can apply for MSW the day i deliver itself ? All my appts are currently at KKH but im planning to give birth at NUH cuz its nearer to my house. Will the bills be subsidies or normal price ? And can i apply for MSW the day itself . Not married but the father of the child will be there with me during birth.. due in 8 weeks time..

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I honestly don’t recommend you change your hospital at the last minute. You can’t walk into the NUH delivery suite easily. You’ll need to go to A&E triage, and they’ll call up the delivery suite to ask for permission to let you go up. In fact, we were to call up the delivery suite before coming, to inform them we were coming down, and they would check our records, symptoms, etc, before advising whether to come down (limited number of delivery suite rooms in NUH). All your records are at KKH, and sometimes the national electronic record system is down, so across different hospitals, they may not be able to retrieve your info. During this COVID-19 period, hospital processes have changed a lot. NUH might tell you upfront not to change hospitals or doctor hop. You’re also unlikely to be able to get an MSW on that day itself, and may not get help with your fees. I know all these may cause you some worry, but as someone who delivered at a hospital super far from my home, I can assure you that you’ll be alright. If this is your first baby, you usually have lots of time to make it there. As long as you go down when your contractions are once every 5-10minutes, even if you live across the country, Singapore is still small enough for you to make it in time. Since KKH also knows your case already, it’ll be easier to help financially and also ensure a safe delivery, taking into account your antenatal records. KKH also has more delivery rooms than NUH, and I’ve heard some other mums say that their partners were allowed in, so I hope that helps you too. Take care and have a safe delivery!

Read more

You need to let the hospital know about your transfer. If not they will just charge you private rates. And if you are not married, the father can’t be inside the delivery ward.