bullying

Do you teach your child about bullying at this age? Am asking because my son comes home by the school bus and most of them are the older P5 and P6 kids. Am worried that he may be bullied as he is tiny and well, in P1. Not sure if they can understand at this age though or will just give in to the bullying if it happens.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

You can certainly teach your son a few ways to help make him "bully-proof." One would be to act out scenarios of bullying he might face and show him what the appropriate action would be. Definitely teach him that whenever he finds himself in an uncomfortable situation to tell you or another adult/caregiver. Also, teach him the difference between being assertive and being aggressive toward a bully - because fighting back won't really solve the situation and might just make it worse. Assertive communication is a healthier, more respectful way of telling others one's thoughts and feelings. Instead of aggressively saying, "Back off, you big bully!" he can say, "Please stop treating me unkindly. It's hurtful."

Read more

Ask your kid about his school and how his day was. Listen calmly and offer comfort and support. Kids often wouldn’t tell adults about bullying because they feel embarrassed and ashamed that it's happening, or worry that their parents will be disappointed, upset, angry, or reactive. There is no age to teach your children about this (bullying) when you feel they understand some one is hurting them might not be physical (verbal) they need not keep facing it. You need to make them understand what would ‘bullying’ be like and if they are being bullied they need to inform the teachers and parents. Also, you need to teach them not to bully other kids.

Read more

Yep! She has been taught since young that it is not fun if the other person is not having fun. Her preschool teachers have often told me that she voices out alot if XXX is bullying another classmate if he doesn't listen when she asked to stop it. During train rides to town, bcos she is short and often unseen by other adults, she easily gets shove around. To counter this, she will go "Hey, you pushed me. That's not nice." really loudly to catch my and everyone else's attention. It also helps that her voice is high pitches lol

Read more
VIP Member

Yes in fact we taught our lo about bullying when she was in preschool so now it's definitely the right time. Do spend time in the evening to find out about his day at school, if his bus ride home was pleasant etc. You'll be surprised at the stories they come back with sometimes!(:

VIP Member

Yes, a child should be taught about it. It's important to take bullying seriously and not just brush it off as something that kids have to "tough out." The effects can be serious and affect kids' sense of safety and self-worth.

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-1499)

My son has a bully in first grade so we told him the bully might be going through problems. They became friends!

thanks

text