Stuttering

Did your child suffered from stuttering? What did you do to help child overcome? Is it normal in toddlers and when shall I take it seriously?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Stuttering affects the fluency of speech. It begins during childhood and, in some cases, lasts throughout life. The disorder is characterized by disruptions in the production of speech sounds, also called "disfluencies. " It can be a shock when your child starts to speak differently, "out of the blue". Sometimes your child may get quite stuck. This can be painful to see, and you may feel helpless and worried. Some periods may seem more difficult than others. The non-fluency may also come and go. Our advice is to refer your child to a speech and language therapist (SLT) as soon as you can. You can usually do this directly without seeing a GP. BSA can provide you with local contact details. For the one in three or four children who need extra help, speech therapy has been shown to be more effective before the age of five. Although your child may not need regular therapy, the therapist can carry out a full assessment, offer advice, and help you to monitor your child's fluency. So Parents take the necessary action while the child affect with stuttering.

Read more

Stuttering is common among young children as a normal part of learning to speak. Young children may stutter when their speech and language abilities aren't developed enough to keep up with what they want to say. Most children outgrow this developmental stuttering. Sometimes, however, stuttering is a chronic condition that persists into adulthood. This type of stuttering can have an impact on self-esteem and interactions with other people. For now I believe, you should wait it out. Help your child by helping them talk and sing as singing helps to go with the flow. Also, avoid making them feel that they are doing something wrong constantly when they talk. Encourage them. If it persists for another year or so, then show a speech therapist.

Read more

- In some cases, the child has difficulty in speaking and tends to hesitate on or repeat certain syllables, words, or phrase. But he may simply be going through periods of normal disfluency that most children experience as they learn to speak. -Few things you should do to overcome stuttering in a faster manner -- Speak with your child in an unhurried way, pausing frequently -- Set aside a few minutes at a regular time each day when you can give your undivided attention to your child - It's normal but a parent should take seriously to overcome this.

Read more

When a the child started to speak a few words, it felt as if he stutters but it automatically improved as he grasped the vocabulary. I guess, if the child is younger than 5, the stuttering might go away on its own. If the stuttering stays or gets worse, visit a speech therapist. Also, try not to pressurise the child to speak correctly or loudly. If you make him more conscious, the child would be even more uncomfortable.

Read more

Yes my kid did stutter and I was worried but didnt point it out to her or discuss it in front of her with others. She gradually outgrew it. I think it's very common with toddlers--they are still figuring out speech and how it works.

My niece used to stutter but doctors asked us to have patience. We were also advised to speak with her, encourage her to talk. She soon overcame this.

He stutters when he speaks fast or is too emotional. I have consulted speech therapist regarding the same. I was advised to be patient with him :)

text

4y ago

text