Pregnancy and Postpartum Can Affect your Visual Acuity

Did you know that pregnancy and postpartum can affect your visual acuity (clarity or sharpness of vision)? A study conducted in Iran published in 2014 said that impaired vision is a common complaint during pregnancy and one of the reason behind it is because of many hormones present in our blood during pregnancy. ... I went to EO yesterday with my husband to get our glasses done. I told the optometrist that I just gave birth 5 months ago and asked if it is okay to get a new pair of glasses. She asked me if I am exclusively breastfeeding and I answered no. She said that optometrists usually give spectacle prescription writing after 4 months postpartum. She also told me that during pregnancy, the eyes become dry and itchy since there is a decrease in tear production. Therefore, doctors do not really recommend pregnant women to wear contact lenses unless they have had consultation before using it. My opto friend also advices me that I have to make sure that my Blood pressure and blood sugar are stable for at least 2 weeks to prevent any discrepancies in my glasses’ prescription. Anyway, you may consult your optometrist for more questions and clarifications. Read for more information: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Shahla_Chaichian/publication/266731877_Visual_Acuity_Changes_during_Pregnancy_and_Postpartum_A_Cross-Sectional_Study_in_Iran/links/543826020cf204cab1d61273/Visual-Acuity-Changes-during-Pregnancy-and-Postpartum-A-Cross-Sectional-Study-in-Iran.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Pregnancy and Postpartum Can Affect your Visual Acuity
1 Reply
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

Thanks for sharing!