Blood test and flu shot at kkh

Dear mom, its my first pregnancy and I was told to do a blood test and flu shot. How is the nurse in kkh? Are they gentle when coming to do this? I have trynophobia (scared of needles) Are the flu shot painful too as I never had one before

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I share your fears mama! I’m terrified of needles too! I had to take a few shots while pregnant as well (for work as I’m in healthcare) and yeah, the pain and fear varied from nurse to nurse. One thing I do: I distract myself with conversation or something that I’m in the midst of planning - like maybe a project at work or a holiday we had in the past. You could also try singing a song out loud! :) Allow yourself to show your fear - it’s okay. There’s strength in vulnerability. Who knows? Some nurses play along and help you too! Good luck!

Read more
VIP Member

Same like you, I’m terrified of needles and I always make it known to the nurses before the blood test or vaccinations. They will have more empathy and be as gentle as they can. So far they have always been very gentle and trying to distract me by engaging me in conversations while asking me to look away. If I remember correctly the whooping cough vaccination is more painful than the flu shot. It’s not the needle but it’s when the medication is going in.

Read more
3y ago

I had the hpv one recently and I don't like it

You got to experience it to feel it. Varies from nurses to nurses and if they can find your veins or not. I've been pricked many times at the same area by new nurses cos they couldn't find my vein and I always end up with a bruise. Trick is when they want to start to prick you, look away and start talking to the nurse or your spouse. Always works!

Read more

The more intense you are, the more muscles wont relax. I’m scared of needles too. My Gynae says: now scared of needles already? More to come.. get prepared. As u go for delivery there will be more. Jia you!! If i can u can too. Just let the nurses know u scared of needles and look away from it. It helps.

Read more
VIP Member

Experience with nurses varies frm person to person la. So far ive had mostly kind nurses.. they did try to be as gentle as possible.. but pain is minimal. Be brave ok! Cervix checks are 100x worst lol