Hypertension medicine (Aspirin) during pregnancy to prevent preeclampsia

Dear all, Does anyone of you being advised by gynae to start taking Aspirin from week 12 onwards for the sake of preeclampsia prevention. I am 38yo with 13wks+ pregnancy. My gynae has prescribed me with Cardiprin 100mg (a type of Aspirin) to start with everyday untill further notice. I am not hypertension nor diabetes, and my blood pressure has always normal. According to my gynae, most of the pregnant women starts to develop hypertension symptoms or preeclampsia from 5months (even she's one normal), peculiarly for women over 35 yrs. Hence, my gynae advised me to take the Aspirin now due to my age as a preventive measure, it'll be too late to take any medicine when the hypertension/ preeclampsia comes in later. Though i was told it's pretty safe to go with it, still there are concerns like any side effect (i have nvr taken Aspirin on a daily basis for a continuous period), to baby as well. Will it cause early birth, etc? I read some article says that the Aspirin needs to be ceased during last trimester, otherwise it may cause some birth complications. Also, it should be a low dosage Aspirin of 80mg, but mine is 100mg. Would like to hear advices from mummies who had this also. Thanks.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes. I did, and continue all the way down to road based on obgyn instruction. So far, there's no side effects observed.