Preeclampsia

Hi Mommies, has anyone got preeclampsia during first pregnancy and has / no recurring one for the second pregnancy? Apparently my gynae has prescribed aspirin due to my first pregnancy preeclampsia. I wonder if i could skip taking this aspirin as I am not sure what is the chances of having a recurring one for my second pregnancy? And if there is any side effect for taking this medication?

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Sorry to hear about your first pregnancy complication :( I am a family physician and I hope to reassure you that Aspirin has been shown with good evidence to reduce the risk of pre-eclampsia recurrence , which typically develops after 20 weeks. Having previous pre-eclampsia is a “high risk group” for recurrence, for which you shld be on aspirin from 12 weeks onwards . Aspirin in younger individuals are usually safe. The side effect of concern is risk of bleeding but this risk is low in younger populations like yourself. In comparison the risk of pre-eclampsia will carry risk to yourself and baby I would suggest you continue this as prescribed by your obstetrician and ask them your questions in detail during your next visit.

Read more