My Daughter is 16 now. She still has eczema. I was told by her doctor that her eczema would go when she is in her teen years. But somehow it's still there. Any advice?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Every person's experience is different on handling the eczema. This is my experience.. My 3 years old daughter had eczema when she almost reach 1 year old. The rashes started from her legs all the way to her butt..Her skin is dry and flaky and its quite severe and every night she will scratch frequently until it bleed. And that moment was my most stressful time because I had to stay awake everytime and everyday so that I can controlled and hold her hand from scratching. And she would cried every night because her skin is itchy and painful. I have done everything I could to minimize the eczema. From watching her diet, to keeping her skins and body moisturize most of the time. But nothing works for me. Until I came across this Eczema Coach on FB, Mizhana Padzi. I read her writing and what struck me the most is when she said (if I remember as she quote), it all began in our mindset and our speech. When we set in our mind that the eczema in not curable, then our efforts is just a waste of time. She also said that, when the mother of the eczema baby is stress, it will effect the emotion of the baby. And so the baby will become stressful also. So, I started to change my mindset and keeps on saying that this eczema is curable. And my baby skins will become healthy and beautiful. And so, followed by the bathing her with oats and Epsom Salt mixture and Renew Bath, moisturize the skin every hourly with Renew Skin Intensive Lotion from Malelucca and keep her nails short everytime and keep her emotion happy all the time, Alhamdulillah her skins gets better and healthier..She became more happy and pretty. And she is free from Eczema for almost 2 years now. And I also get to know that dust triggers her eczema. So I avoid using rugs and furry carpets in my house. So, my points is stress can triggers eczema so please avoid from being stress and be positive in mind and your skin will be healthy. Insya'allah..and please practise a good hygiene. Good Luck! 🤗

Read more

I had a friend in high school who had severe bouts of eczema. It would flare up whenever exams rolled by. From what I know, eczema can be triggered by stress and hormonal changes so being a teenager, those two factors are pretty much at an all time high --thus the eczema I suppose. Does your daughter use make up or perfume (or any other cosmetics, which can be common for teens)? Some of these things can be a trigger for eczema flare ups. Also, at 16, I'd imagine it's quite stressful in school with exams, friends and other teen stuff. Make sure your daughter take time to unwind and relax whenever she can. It will help keep her eczema at bay.

Read more
Super Mum

Some people have eczema that carry on into adulthood. There are various triggers for flare ups, so try to pinpoint and avoid them. Then also continue the moisturising, and possibly steroid cream to the red areas during bad flares

VIP Member

My cousin still has eczema even after giving birth to 2 children. Her children are now 21 and 16. She has come to terms with it. Take her meds when it flares and make sure she keeps herself well covered when she is out.

Eczema is a very sensitive skin prblem. Chinese doctor believe that wing will make them itch. Did you Chinese doctor cos I have this problem when I was 6 years old but now I am 36 no more is problem any more.

Eczema is associated with hygiene and stress as they grow up. Also if the air is hot and dry, they will flare up. Being in a cool environment like Aircon will help.

See Dr Mary at Rochor clinic. She solved my eczema problem that lasted till my teenage years too. :)

Does she moisturise enough? She should be moisturising atleast 3 times a day

VIP Member

Maybe she has allergy, maybe you want to see allergy doctor.

TapFluencer

As long as not too much should be okay