Staying with MIL and expect me to do whatever she did after given birth

Currently staying @ in law’s and its just getting way too annoying MIL keep telling me i should be doing this i should be doing that be it during pregnant or after given birth. She expect me to do whatever she did when she was pregnant & given birth. It’s so annoying. Her days are long gone and some people need to really stop expecting the newer generation or us, to do whatever they did in the olden days. To them everything they did is correct and everything we do is wrong just because they have lived longer and brought up more children 🙄 My parents never even say anything but she’s always the one exaggerating. She even say itll be harder for me to give birth vaginally just cause im petite and skinny. Im 1.56cm & weighed 50kg before pregnancy i believe thats average. I can foresee my postpartum ill be more depressed because of her than the baby itself. And also she like to tell me to do stupid stuff like oh thats what the people in the olden days did. And i should be doing it. Like when bathing on the day im gg to hospital to give birth i should suck the end of my hair. Like wtf? I should eat 1 tablespoon of oil so baby will slit out smoothly. I should unlock all locks in my room. And keep saying i should drink coconut water so baby will be clean when birthed. So what if baby is dirty? The baby literally lived inside me for months ofcourse when it first come out itll not be as clean. And die die keep saying i should get a masseuse for my baby to hot compress my baby boy’s ball sack. Man this is getting way too annoying and ofcourse oldies being oldies they will never want to hear what we want to say. I did tell my husband all these and he just told me to ignore cause he also dont believe all these. Malay mums and their stupid beliefs.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I understand it may be hard for us if some moms still strongly believe in old wife's tales. While both my mom and late MIL aren't so traditional, they do share with me some superstitious things which I also chose to ignore. Lucky me they did not impose those beliefs on me. Like the coconut drink thing, I actually drank alot (luckily no GD!) just because I love the drink and indeed baby came out clean (perhaps coincidental) without much of the white vernix but I do read somewhere having the vernix is actually good for baby's skin.

Read more

Oh my.. I will go back to my parent’s place n stay for sure. Hot compress at ball sack?? Is she craze?? 1. Do not want any argument, especially ure facing her everyday 24/7 . Especially ure bz pumping milk, learning how to handle/take care of ur LO, u won’t wan someone to keep nagging when ure already so stressed 2. Do not want u to have post depression 3. Do not want u to feel “obligated”

Read more

Feel u too. My mil is keep asking to follow her belief. Pressing the nose to shape. Spitting at the private part(female) to get rid of the discharge, massaging brows, legs to align properly. Breastmilk not good. So much more And its hard. So hard to say no as it will hurt them. And when politely say no, they claim their time newborn still alive and healthy despite everything

Read more

Is it possible to move out? Sounds toxic and it’s probably not going to get better.. you definitely need to stay away from her for your mental health. If really cannot then stand firm and tell her if you’re uncomfortable with whatever she’s saying. Stay strong!!

Man, this sounds like a nightmare. I happened to see some ladies going to confinement centres at jb (coz it's much cheaper there than SG), maybe consider doing that instead of staying with in laws after birth? At least its a month of peace.

I was 19yo when i had my first. prepregnancy I weigh 45kg. not sure what's my height back then but I am now 34yo and 159.6cm. my first borne weigh 3990. so close to 4kg.

Hahaha I feel you and trust me once baby is out it’s gonna get worse. That’s why I’m staying at my parents’ place instead of theirs.

I feel you!! Please talk to your hub or family n frens because when baby is out. It's gonna be worse n the depression is real.