Can’t relate to coworkers

At a company event and never felt so alone in my life. I work in a company where I am the only mum. My life has changed. My priorities have changed. And I feel like I can no longer relate to people. I don't have much to talk about. How do I bridge the gap?

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Before I’m pregnant, I hate it when my colleague talk about her kids all day. I could not relate it all and I don’t blame her cos it’s her focus in life then. Put urself in their shoe, and talk about curreny affairs? Shopping, movies, current affairs and etc. Just avoid kid topic Only talk about ur kids when ppl ask and know when to stop

Read more

I find that it helps if you stick to neutral topics. My bff at work is the only Mom in our office and she gets along well with everyone else seamlessly. She would chat about her baby to people who loves kids and avoid that same topic to those who do not particularly enjoy stories about her LO's first step or potty training.

Read more

You need not necessary talk about your kids. You can find other topics like about the surrounding (environment , people, etc), where to go for gd deals, travelling, food and etc. Although your priorities change, doesn'mean you cant discuss about other topics!

Try talking more about company affairs or gossips or just chat and get to know about the other person. My company colleagues are mostly unmarried too and i try not to talk too much about my boy unless they ask

I'm really thankful that my company practice flexi hours and like the fact that im actually a mummy. It counts alot. Some ppl find mummyhood boring, so maybe can avoid those topics.

Hi, Don't worry and just try to talk to people about general topics. Sometimes, it is just about taking the first step and rest everything makes its way :)

jus b norm n mix around lik u used to. Doesn't have to start off wif kids topic to them but eventually they ll ask u abt ur kids they u jus share.

You can start off with asking about current movies or the online sale stuffs. See how the convo goes along the way

Start off by not taking it about kids. Single people hate it so you can try talking about current affairs.

VIP Member

Current news, hot topics, festivals, weather and food topics are great conversations starter