Can kids get urinary tract infections?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes. Urinary tract infections (UTI) are rather common in kids. By the time they turn 5, about 8% of girls and about 1-2% of boys have had at least one. In older kids, UTI may cause obvious symptoms such as burning or pain during peeing. In infants and young children, UTI may be harder to detect because symptoms are less specific, with fever being the only sign at times. UTI occurs much more frequently in girls, because a girl's urethra is shorter and closer to the anus. Uncircumcised boys younger than 1 year also have a slightly higher risk of developing a UTI. Children can get UTI from poor toilet and hygiene habits such as the use of bubble baths or soaps that irritate the urethra. For girls, remember to teach them to wipe from front to back. On the positive side, UTI in kids are highly treatable, but it's important to get treatment early. Undiagnosed or untreated UTI can lead to kidney damage, especially for kids younger than 6 years of age.

Read more

Yes they can if you don't practice good genital hygiene. With girls, teach them how to wipe from front to back and when they are babies, do this yourselves on them. I would also recommend washing them especially after a poo. Uncircumsised boys can be taught how to pull back their foreskin and clean when they are older. But never force back your baby boy's foreskin - just wash well with a mild soap and water.

Read more

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are common in kids. By the time they're 5 years old, about 8% of girls and about 1-2% of boys have had at least one. In older kids, UTIs may cause obvious symptoms such as burning or pain with urination (peeing). In infants and young children, UTIs may be harder to detect because symptoms are less specific. In fact, fever is sometimes the only sign.

Read more

What I do to prevent my baby girl from getting UTI is I ensure that I only wipe her private with one wet wipe per swab. I never use the same wet wipe for the second swab. Also, I apply mustela no rinse soap. But despite of it being labeled as "no rinse" I still wipe her private after applying soap just to be sure that surface will not get irritated.

Read more
VIP Member

Yes kids do get UTI, infact a friends son who is just seven months was suffering from a UTI and had to get a circumcision done.There are various things that cause UTI. So keep ur kids genital clean, ensure they are well hydrated.