Can I have a panadol for my fever if I'm exclusively breastfeeding? Will the medicine 'pass down' to my baby during feeding?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Normal panadol is safe to consume for breastfeeding moms. Panadol Extra is not preferred as compared to plain paracetamol. It is not contraindicated when breastfeeding but it has added 65 mg of caffeine per tablet. So two tablets is probably about equivalent to one strong cup of coffee. Caffeine may have a stimulatory effect on babies who are sensitive to it.

Read more

I took both Panadol and Panadol extra (accidentally) and Panadol extra is said to have a lot of caffeine present. So far I've been having coffee so I guess my daughter is quite tolerant of caffeine. Luckily it didn't cause any side effects on her. Given another chance I would still avoid Panadol extra.

Read more
VIP Member

Yes, paracetamol is safe for breastfeeding. Small amounts will be present in your milk, but it won't be enough to cause harm to your baby. http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2458.aspx?CategoryID=73&SubCategoryID=107

Read more

Normal panadol/paracetamol is safe to take. If you are having flu, remember to wear mask while latching. Also, practise hygiene by washing your hands before handling baby.

Yes, you can take paracetamol. Only a small amount gets into your breastmilk and it's unlikely to harm your baby.

thanks

Paracetamol is safe for bf. Don't stop breastfeeding.