My boy is turning 6 months on Monday. At what month should I make him use a walker? Or should I make him use a walker? I've read that they're not ideal for babies.

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

i did not put my babies in a walker and trust me it actually helped them to walk faster and get better at their foot grip and balance. when you put your baby in a walker, it makes them careful and there is already a protective support around them which prevents them from trying to really balance on their own. also, skidding along on wheels is something that babies love doing and hence they end up doing less of firm footing time. let your baby try and stand and walk on his own. trust me it will be a lot more fun :)

Read more

I knew some people who have put their babies in the walker as early as 5 months. According to this website I've come across, baby walkers offer more harm than good because it gives babies extra speed and height. You can read more about it through this link: https://www.healthychildren.org/English/safety-prevention/at-home/Pages/Baby-Walkers-A-Dangerous-Choice.aspx

Read more

For teaching how to walk, we loved our push toy (like a lawn mower). But positioning baby inside a hoola hoop while holding the hoop from outside worked really well too. Just allowing them to explore on their own (safely) like cruising while holding on to secure furniture also helps. But we also used a walker sometimes- not life threatening.

Read more

Our pedia was against the use of walkers but suggested we try push walkers as it merely aids the baby's walk, as a sort of crutch if you may. My baby had fun using his push walker and i really think it helped him build his confidence in walking. We started about 7-8months i think, as soon as he showed interest in walking.

Read more

my twins started using walkers when they were 4 months old as both of them love to stand up but since I'm a single parent I can only hold them one at a time.. currently they are 8 months and started to walk using a push walker

Physical therapists dread the idea of walker, jumperoo and even high chair. I've read that these baby gears just prevent babies from completely doing what they want as these promote only a singular position.

My cousin started to make her daughter use a walker when she was 5 months. Now, her baby can already walk and she's a year old. If you prefer no baby gears at all, train your kid to walk with your gabay. :)

VIP Member

walkers are not recommend as they promote tip toe walking. Thus it's best to know let them lie on a playmat

Mine is already on walker around 6months old..