Is babyledweaning a must?

Been spoon-fed my son since 6mths now he is 14mths.. kinda stress when i look at some toddler self fed themself already

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

I spoonfed my kid for 2 years. In between, she got to pick up things like baby biscuits/puffs/yoghurt melts to self feed. Less mess, less food wastage, I’m perfectly happy with my decision. Trained her to use fork, spoon and kid chopsticks later on. No issues:) Of course, she still spills some food now (4yo), but definitely not as much as if she were a baby.

Read more
4y ago

I held her hand holding the spoon for self feeding training since maybe 18 months Introduced the fork and showed her how to coordinate the fork and spoon at 2+. By then, she could use the spoon. Chopsticks started closer to 3. The most dangerous thing in parenthood is comparing ourselves or our kids to others 😂 Whether it’s for milestones or school results and work accomplishments (when they grow up). You’re doing a great job:) enjoy the journey!

Super Mum

It's a parenting choice like many other choices, nothing is a must it's all up to you :). There are pros and cons for both methods. If you want to try BLW you can incorporate it as snack time and just let baby explore and play with the food, so it's a fun activity for baby too and you don't have to worry about not feeding him enough!

Read more
4y ago

Yep of course! I feed my LO by spoon all 3 meals and only give her snacks like carrot, fruit pieces, crackers etc in between meals. You can give yogurt or noodle for your LO to try using a spoon also but expect a big mess 😅

It’s not a must, it’s really up to you. I do both traditional weaning and BLW, thought mostly I’m on BLW. Like what others said, there’s really pros and cons to it. So it is really up to individual. BLW can really train their motor skills but it can also be trained via other methods as well.

I tried blw since 6 months old , but LO created a big mess everytime . Seems like a big wastage , most of the food is now on the floor . Now i made up my mind to 100% traditional feeding , unless his puffs . I will let him have his own , sometimes .

TapFluencer

My baby now 14 month she only feed herself with snack. I have friends baby spoon fed themselves i feel it's perfectly fine. I don't want a mess. Eventually when she is older she will understand how to feed herself properly.

I’m glad to chance upon your post. Yaye I’m not alone!! I never try BLW too and only spoon feed my LO all 3 meals.

Haha same here, mine refuses to take the food even he could. 'face big'

Not a must

TapFluencer

Not a must