my bb has a preferred boob side. my guess is because the other with a faster letdown is not to her liking. i end up pumping and that side is getting further away from being in sync with baby. what to do? btw i defn tried latching her that side she doesnt like but she latch a few mouthful and start crying like im forcing her to eat awful things but switched sides, she latch peacefully.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Like you've mentioned, preference for one side could be due to variations in supply or flow of milk between the two breasts. It could also be because of normal anatomical differences (one side with more working ducts or differences between the two nipples making one easier to latch on than the other). Or simply that baby has a preference where he/she feels more comfortable being held on the preferred side. You can try doing the following to get your daughter to nurse on the less preferred side: - try different nursing positions - start your daughter on the preferred side, slide her over to the other side without changing the position of her body - offer the less preferred side to her when she is not fully awake (sleepy or just waking up), nursing will be more instinctive for her at that point and she may take to the left side more - offer the less preferred side while walking, swaying or rocking (with some motion) may encourage her to take to it as well (For more useful information: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/lopsided/) Hope one of these suggestions work for you!

Read more

My wife experiences the same with our baby. Our baby only prefers to latch from the left breast. My wife tries to have our baby latch from the right side when the baby's not super hungry. Because, when the baby's very hungry, she will obviously prefer the left breast where's she's more comfortable.