My baby was fully breastfed up till now - we've just introduced solids. I understand she can now start drinking water to help ease constipation. But how much water can I feed her in a day? Is there a limit? She's still on breastmilk.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Same as what Ling suggested, a few spoons of water after meal should help. Also, continue to breastfeed as breast milk should still be the main source of nutrients for babies who are starting solids. IF you feel that she is having constipation, you can also try some of these to help: - If low fiber content could be the cause, you can include pureed fruits (pears or prunes) or vegetables - Give your baby more fluid (can try add pear or prune juice to her milk) - Wiggle your baby's legs in a gentle pedaling motion while she is lying on her back. - Gently but firmly massage your baby’s belly (below the navel). If you feel a firm area, keep a steady pressure there for a few moments. Hope this helps!

Read more

I personally would feed baby a few spoons of water after every meal. That is what i have been doing myself. Breastmilk or formula milk would suffice. Nevertheless i would say plain water is always good. Hope this helps.