My baby does not seem to want to eat any of his first/transition foods

My baby is 6 months old and has an interest in food but when i give him his transition meal he spits it out. When I first gave him mashed pumpkin, he ate it but the second time he did not. I have also given him apples(mashed and steamed), bananas(2 kinds and both were steamed and mashed), Eu Yan Seng brown rice powder (both with and without whitebait powder) but he does not seem to swallow it. Is there any other food options, method of preparation that i could try? I am really getting worried. What should i do? He does drink about 4 or 5 bottles of 240ml formula milk a day and about 100 ml of breast milk 3 times a day. He normally drinks this amount of milk b4 the introduction of food as well. I'm at my wits end. Am going to try mashed avocados next but I'm worried he's not properly eating any solids and that it would impact his growth.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's hard not to worry, but it's quite normal! At this stage, the main source of food can still be milk. You can get your baby acquainted with solids by 1) eating together (baby joins you during meals, can just watch and see that oh you're eating 'food') 2) letting him explore his food and various textures with his hands at the dining table but not forcing him to eat it. If he decides to put it in his mouth, great. Otherwise, touching it and exploring it with his hands could be good enough at this age when he is just starting out (I mention at the dining table because some parents may not be comfortable having their children playing with food off the table!) Lastly, be patient with bb and yourself. It can take a long time and lots of trial and error. You're doing great! ❤

Read more

milk is their main source of nutrition before age 1 so don't fret if he isn't eating much. and also he's only 6months old n taking alot of milk, of course he isn't gonna eat much, his stomach is small. u can try spacing the milk feed n solid feed longer apart or drop half a milk feed. else u can also explore BLW, maybe that will peak his interest in eating even more

Read more

240ml formula for a 6 months old bb is quite a lot.. can check with doctor if the vol is ok. Mine is 9 months and drinks 200ml per feed with solid feed once per day. Try adding abit of milk when blending the food and don’t keep changing. Let bb get used to the food then try something else. Hope it helps!

Read more
TapFluencer

not to worry. some babies only started solid at 9 months or later. they are still getting use to the texture of the different food. what I started off was those off the shelves cereal with milk . before I started giving my babies fruits and vegetables. you can try those first. good luck!

VIP Member

have you tried introducing solids 30-45min before milk? at 6 months it's ok if they don't eat much, it's more of an exploration at this point! milk is still the main source of their nutrients till they are past 12mo :) don't worry

TapFluencer

don't panic. it's a trial and error stage. try 1 type of food for a few days before trying another. all are new taste for your baby and he is adapting to the new taste also. or you can try mashed plain porridge.

VIP Member

6mo dont need to worry jst keep offering solids even if he doesnt eat much its ok. they are still relying on milk til 1yo. so take it easy and slow :)

VIP Member

Usually I give it at least 1 hour break between milk and solids. And I add milk into his solids so that my baby has a familiar taste. Hope this helps

TapFluencer

Babies at 6MO they rely on milk. If no solids it’s fine too

VIP Member

My boy only started ard 8-9mths & like 2-3days once😅