Baby is 3 months old. I personally have severe seperation anxiety and major anxiety issues alongside with other conditions. My toodler has seperation anxiety too (no bad experience before) What should i do to help baby to cope with the seperation anxiety which has distruped the daily usuals in life. Note: Aside to all this, there is an underlying issue.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

What are the causes of these separation anxieties? It's good that you recognise these issues and hope to face them on. It's hard to hear people openly talk about anxiety especially in Singapore (in my opinion). That being said, for a baby as young as 3 months, dealing with separation anxiety starts with you. Babies that young tend to reflect off what their parents are feeling, especially their moms because of the natural closeness. My mom went through a difficult bout when pregnant with my younger brother. It's been 28 years and you can still see the flicker of sadness in both their eyes despite decades passing. As long as you don't deal with the separation anxiety, your baby wouldn't either.

Read more

Here's a great article that you may find helpful: http://www.positive-parenting-ally.com/baby-separation-anxiety.html Among the suggestions, I think that introducing a comfort object (or "Baby lovely" in the article), playing peek-a-boo (to introduce concept of separation and reunion), not avoiding and prolonging good byes, are a few examples of great suggestions. As for yourself, I do hope that you are seeking some professional help as things can get stressful and it is best to have some help to manage the anxiety when required. Take care mummy, we will be here for you too!

Read more

Babies and toddlers develop separation anxiety which is a normal part of their development. Parent who have anxiety issues may exhibit anxiety related behaviours which babies model, in which case parents think that the baby is anxious, as opposed to him modelling what he sees the adults do. Saying that, there is also the possibility that the genetic risks for anxiety is transmitted to the child too. Parents with significant anxiety benefit from counselling for themselves both to manage their own anxiety and to help support their parenting behaviours.

Read more