At what age did you start doing drop off classess for your LOs? Mine is 3 and I feel that she is still not ready to be left alone.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Mine 22mths. Little children are actually more flexible n "versatile" than we thought they are. For a start they will cry-that shows their bonding with you n it's normal. Usually give them at least about 2 weeks but each child is different. Mine cried full half day for first 3 days n I tot it will never happen that she stop crying. But 4th day on she was adapting and following week she went to Sch without crying and I was surprised. So she took about 1.5wks. I guess I'm the one with more separation anxiety than she was. She was crying inside I was outside though I didn't let her see. As children can feel your emotions and sees your uncertainty. That makes them scare too. Because they look up to you and if you are not certain, they see it as unsafe. Prepare your child by bringing them to the Sch looking from the window, describe what they are doing. Read to them books on going to Sch. When you know the schedule or routine of the Sch, try to start the same routine at home prior to attending. Eg, sleeping time, feeding time. Hope this helps.

Read more
8y ago

Oh and to add, she has attend full day since a Mth after enrolling and she's adapting very well on Sch now. Picking up new skills and more independent now. She's interacting more words and her understanding is unbelievable. She will come home telling us w

Mine is at 3 years. Before that, we did the accompanied program and I felt that time that he will never be ready for the drop off program. But he did and he didn't even cry! :-) But when you start the drop off, the school is going to let you do short classes in the beginning and will even let you stay on for a while. At my son's school, which accepts kids like every month, the new students cry for at least a week before they eventually get used to it. I know it's hard and my heart bleeds everytime I hear a child cry at his school but we've got to do what we've got to do and that is to let go. If we let them, then they will feel that we are ready and they will be more accepting of the fact that they will be left at school alone.

Read more

mine started at 24mths old at playgroup. cried for the 1st week and afterwhich enjoy school alot for a good 2hrs where he can learn more things and english in school (as my parents speaks chinese to him) and at the same time my parents can rest or do their things for that 2hrs. after which he continue N1 for 3hrs and surprising he didnt cry on 1st day of school and enjoy himself. now he is 4yrs old at K1 4hrs school and he loves school too.

Read more

Started throwing them at 3 Yrs old where the school accepts that age, usually for a quick 1 hour or so. Cause I realize when I teach they don't listen, but surprisingly they listen to the teachers and answers back. Normally I will lie to them say I just go out to buy sweets or ice cream then will come back later. They will be good and stay in class. After class normally they don't remember about it. It's my way of distracting them.

Read more

Childcare/playgroup classes start at 18mo, so at 3yo, that's N1, either half day or full day without parents. Enrichment classes are usually parent-accompanied too. But i'd say go with your child's character and comfort level. not all kids are ready at the same time.

VIP Member

Separation anxiety is natural, but you have to take the first step. After a week or so when she's settled in, you might find that she might even cry and not want to leave school.

Mine started at 2 years old. Yes, they will cry initially due to separation anxiety but after a while they will love attending playgroup classes.

18mo, and lucky me, LO doesn't have separation anxiety.

thanks