Anyone suffered from insomnia while pregnant? My cousin is 6 months along and has trouble sleeping at night. She usually gets sleep only after 4am. What can she do to overcome this problem?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I have recently read about this method: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11585755/Simple-4-7-8-breathing-trick-can-induce-sleep-in-60-seconds.html I've tried it myself and found it effective. Essentially, it is just doing deep breathing for 4s, then 7s, 8s, and 9s. It helps to slow down the heart rate and will naturally relax the body and promotes sleep. Other methods she can consider: - avoid caffeine and chocolate after lunch time. - trying some light exercises if she can manage (if she is not used to exercising, can just start with walking). - if it is anxiety about the pregnancy that has been keeping her up, share her worries with her loved ones may help. Talk to her doctor if there is anything in particular she needs clarifying to help ease her anxieties. Relaxing her mind and body would usually help with difficulties in sleeping. Hopefully she will find a method that works for her. :)

Read more

I did too! And I was so jealous of my ex husband then because each night he was snoring and sleeping so peacefully but I would only fall asleep at 3plus before waking up at 7am. My gynae too advised the same suggestions that Hui Qun has mentioned. Also, he told me to take my time during dinner and to have it at least 2 hours before I go to sleep to prevent heartburn. If your friend suffers from leg cramps at night, wear socks as this would help. I also reduced my water intake towards the evening so I wouldn't have to wake up and pee so often at night.

Read more

I had this problem too. I just went with the flow. One of the nights I would get tired enough to sleep at the normal timing. Haha. I would refrain from taking caffeine (in fact I didn't at all) and not eat before I sleep so I would not feel too bloated. I tried not to do anything too vigorous before bedtime or watch game shows that are too exciting as well.

Read more

thanks