Any idea how to boost my breast milk yield. My 7 week old baby drinks 4oz per feed and sadly I only produce one third of what she is drinking now. Tried all the possible milk boosters. Considering power pumping. I heard that power pumping is effective in increasing yield. May I know once yield has increased, should I stop power pumping altogether?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi I’m one of those who don’t DL Cos my bb doesn’t like the fast flow of milk. He gets cranky so I pump out exclusively for him. I have tried a few ways such as lactation muffins (there are quite a few home based Bakers), oat meal for breakfast with Chia seed and flax seed husks, nursing tea such as by Puppa (available at Mothercare) and drink about 3-4 litres of water daily. Also read that bubble tea and Milo does help which also works for me. Keep trying k, mine did increase till I can feed him exclusively when previously he was about 30-40% on formula milk.

Read more

You can try this method to power pump, find an hour in the day that you can pump uninterrupted.Within that hour, use this pumping pattern: Pump for 20 minutes, rest for 10 minutes Pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10 minutes Pump for 10 minutes. Throughout the rest of the day, pump the normal length of time when you would typically pump, eg. Every 3hours You only need to power pump for 2-3 days before you see a result. Then you can return to your normal pumping routine until you feel like it needs another little kick start.

Read more

Power pump do help a lot as demand means supply. You can add in one power pump every night and continue until supply is stable. It will be better if you can direct latch as baby can extract milk better than pumps can. If due to various reasons you are unable to direct latch, you can consider to pump 3 hourly for minimum of 15 minutes to maintain supply. Remember to drink more fluid and be hydrated if not supply can be affected.

Read more

Hi Yvonne, Do you direct latch baby from time to time? DL is the best for undersupply mom as baby is the best power pump for mummy. After DL, if baby never manage to finish the milk, you will need to pump it out. Power pumping is applicable for moms that unable to DL due to various reasons. If you are an exclusively pumping mom, power pumping can increase the yield as it will give a signal to ur body to produce more bm.

Read more

Sorry to hear that. How often do you direct latch? I had been pumping a fair bit in the first few weeks postpartum because of sore nipples, but realised that having my baby DL instead helped to increase my production significantly. She drains in 5 mins what 20 mins of pumping yields. And now that I've been back at work for a week and pumping, my supply has fallen slightly.

Read more

take lots of iron intake if your a non vegetarian goat liver are soo good also take lots of fish and chicken for protein in take . be careful with the mercury lvl in fish. theb you can also tk lots of dates besides this just keep breastfeeding your LO as thy suck more u will produce more milk

I think latching works best but if for some reason it’s not possible to latch, you can try pumping sooner in between feeding times (eg. every 2 hourly if your baby feeds 3 hourly). Takes a while to see the effect but persevere on!

Take milk boosters (like oats, fenugreek, avocado milk shake, Milo) to help. And keep away from milk killers (like cabbage).

Get the pill from dr. Its called domperidone

red dates one of the food that can boost.