Am I allowed to bathe or wash my hair during confinement?

20 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Under chinese confinement, you will not be allowed to shower for the 28 days. I do not follow strictly this rule during my confinement. If we actually throwback to the reason why no showering is allowed, this rule started many years ago in China when they had cold weather. Singapore is way to humid not to shower and especially when you are breastfeeding. I don't think it's a good idea to not follow basic hygiene and breastfeed my baby.

Read more

I washed my hair 3 times per week during confinement and so far haven't feel any side effects yet. Just make sure you blow dry your hair and of course avoid direct wind blowing on you after bath to prevent catching cold. If you are sick during confinement you will take longer time to recover as the immune system is weaker during childbirth recuperation. Take a warm drink after bath will make you feel better too.

Read more

Yes depending on what you choose to practice. I was not allowed to shower for the first 2 weeks by my confinement lady which I respected. Many of my friends continued to bathe and wash their hair and don't see any problem with it. Hygiene is really important.

Read more
VIP Member

Why not!? Please bathe and wash your hair so you can maintain good hygiene. If you don't bathe, you'll feel warm, sticky and uncomfortable. As long as you use warm water and dry yourself completely, it'll be fine.

Read more

By right no, by left yes. Haha! Well I believe as long as after we washed our hair must be fully dry so as to avoid too much wind getting into our bodies. Best to not wash everyday. Maybe once a week?

VIP Member

Yes of course for hygiene reasons. Recommended to use the herbal bath meant for confinement provided by TCM shops. Just make sure to dry ur hair sufficiently before bedtime. :)

VIP Member

of cos! just ensure the bathroom doesn't have cold drafts coming in, and blow dry your hair afterwards. bathe when the sun is still hot and with warm water or herbal water.

If you want to follow blindly the tradition confinement method, not allowed. If you want a more practical answer, you should bathe and wash your hair

VIP Member

Beliefs wise they would say no. But personal hygiene says yes! I bathed every twice a day and yes i do wash my hair at the same time

I did shower and wash my hair with TCM herbal warm water and use hair dryer. but not everyday,I try to limited once every 3 days.