Hi, My 6 month old baby is very much interested in sucking her thumb. I have tried using mittens but still her hand goes into her mouth. She always has her finger in mouth n don't cry for feeding, so I don't understand if she's hungry or not. Also while sleeping, unconsciously she will take her finger mouth, and sleeps..I have no clue to make her forget about it. Will she get used to it even after growing or should I take any other step to stop her from doing this ?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

HI, I think she is too young to understand that she should not put thumb in her mouth or to take any directions for you or get what you mean. So, all you can do right now is take out her thumb whenever she puts in her mouth. Keep doing it and give her a hanky to hold or a rattler to play with. Generally, babies suck their thumb or fingers is because they are born with it. This is how they fill their tummy by sucking, so it is a kind of reflex action for them. Sucking necessarily doesn't mean that baby is hungry. Babies also suck their thumb because it calms them down. This is what pacifiers do. By the age of 2 or 3, she will on her own leave sucking the thumb, or as she grows you can give her other comfort objects, like her favourite toy, so that she is engaged playing with it.

Read more

she is playful and at this age, her hands and fingers are really fascinating objects! :) this is her way of playing, and also, sucking the thumb can become a source of great comfort and security. however, you will have to constantly remove her hand from her mouth, while she is awake or asleep. try and distract her when she is awake. if she keeps doing it when sleeping, give her a sleep toy or a sleep blankie that she can hold and feel safe. sucking the finger is also a sign that she may be teething, so do massage her gums and ease any discomfort.

Read more

I believe tht it's okay to let your LO suck thumb. the more you want to stop her, the more she will do it. kids are cheeky like this. just let her be, and try to switch her attention from sucking thumb to something else. don't encourage her to suck and don't stop her too. my girl. will eat her fingers, I just try to shift her attention like giving her her handkerchief or play with her. it's better thn keep pulling her fingers out of her mouth.

Read more

My baby was d same ....he alwayz sucks his thumb....i alwayz stops him by giving him any toys or talking to him...now he is 1 yr old..gradually he stopped dat habit... dont worry...it will take tym...some doctors says babies sucks their thumb 'coz dey are bored or sleepy or are given less attention...so alwayz engage them by playing or talking with them

Read more

That is natural habits but yet baby is very small and u can't force her and baby don't understand that habit give her infection also but at the time u can use baby pacifier after sometime slowly slowly u can stop that habits.

Try giving her pacifier!!! Make sure u wash it everytime u put it in her mouth !! Trust me its one of the best buy ..

Try giving her pacifier to stop the habit of sucking her thumb!