Baby’s feeding is challenging…

My 7month old baby doesn’t finish her milk at one go. She needs to be coaxed to take her milk with frequent breaks and sometimes can leave like half a bottle. Dread her milk or meal time cos really need alot of patience. When it comes to having her solids, she will just open her mouth for that few times. And she opens her mouth so narrowly that the food gets pushed out while sending it into her mouth. Then after, dun wan to open the mouth when she sees the spoon. More effective feeding her by hand. But i dun wan her to reject the spoon in future… most of the time feed until super frustrated. Gain weight very slowly falls in the 10-25th percentile i think she is dropping lower. Any mummy experience similar situation too?

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Can try dream feeding her? Like when she’s asleep, feed her? Or drag the interval between feedings? Maybe she’s not hungry. Or you might want to entice her using a straw or a sippy cup with teat straw like those Avent brands? See if she wants to try? My daughter at that age also didn’t drink finish her milk. I gave her through the Avent brand sippy cup with straw. Or maybe you try to up the teat level? Maybe too slow, she’s bored or her jaw is tired. My baby also until now quite difficult to finish her milk. And she’s 17 months already. Want to finish 80ml also difficult. I understand your frustration. Twist the bottle and force feed until both me and her cry. Cause I worry she’s not getting enough milk. Then I tried giving her Dutch Lady Full Cream Milk, she drank a bit a bit. Maybe you can try giving her fresh milk or full cream milk. Or you could change flavours for her solids? She’s having purées now? At 7 months I gave my daughter purées from Peachy brand. Sometimes mashed potato with full cream milk, BM or FM. Gerber Organic Rice also she ate mixed with milk. Sometimes blended porridge with fine ikan bilis or carrots, or spinach. Blended porridge with minced chicken and potato carrots. Can try. Hope it’s just a phase and she’ll regain her appetite soon! If you’re worried you can bring her to PD to check. Take care Mummy! ☺️

Read more
2y ago

Yeah can let her try BLW! But I only allowed my daughter to BLW herself at 9 months onwards when she can start chewing down food with her gums. Buy those cheap suction plates in different designs and I made some French toast, or lightly toasted toast, spread some cream cheese or hummus or jam and cut into finger-sized or tiny pieces, scrambled eggs, tiny pieces of strawberries and blueberries, cooked fusilli with baby pasta sauce, banana egg pancakes/scrambled, scrambled spinach egg, self-made rice balls, salmon was also a big part of her diet after 9 months onwards. I watched YouTube for baby recipes for BLW, and made them for my daughter. The broccoli meatballs were a hit. Salmon nuggets too. You can try. Watch your baby when you’re doing BLW and make sure the pieces are tiny to prevent choking. Give sips of water too. At 7 months I think you can try a thickier or chunkier purée/porridge.