Newborn feeding interval

My 15 days old baby is sometimes feeding less than 2hrs.. N the amount is not consistent. Is this a concern or shld jus feed him based on his feeding wants? Also how long do you let the baby burp or sit upright before putting him back to bed? Cos my confinement nanny only burps him like a few mins and then will put him down already, say that’s enough.. if try to carry him longer, she will say don’t make it a habit, else baby will need ppl to carry nxt time. But sometimes we see our baby spit out abit of milk while he sleeps, which she says is normal for baby to spit out milk cos their stomach is shallow. Which is correct??

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For me, I use the 3 hours guideline. My son is 3.5kg and he takes in 50ml of formula milk. Even now he is going 1 month, I increase to 60ml only. Initially I was breastfeeding, I just latch on demand and pump out my milk when he sleeps or when I am not sleepy. I only managed 10ml, so I assume my baby drinks about 20ml from the latch and pumped milk. I top up additional 30ml of formula milk for him. And it helps him to withstand the hunger for 3 hours. But don't worry, usually newborn feed around 1 hour to 3 hours. And is normal for mummies to still trying to gauge how much baby drinks. You just pump out your milk, record the amount. Then you latch your baby, if he still cries after latch, you warm the pump out milk for him. If he still cries after the pump out milk, you try to give about 30ml of formula see he drink finish or not. For burping, it takes around 10 to 15 minutes. Sometimes baby doesn't burp cos the air goes out through farting or just disappear la 😅 But as long as they burp after feeding is fine. Spit out milk is completely normal as long as not vomit. If vomit 3 times a day must see doctor already. Maybe overfeeding

Read more

For neonates (less than 1 month), their feeding is about every 3 hours as a rough guide, but in truth it can be very erratic and they may want feeds earlier or later than that. It is fine to feed on demand but the rough amount should still equivalate in the first month to about 8 feeds of 65ml per day in total. As they reach near the full month some babies may even require more than this amount (for eg 70-80ml 8x/day). Regarding regurgitation of milk, your baby may have taken in too much air while drinking and this can cause colic which in turn causes regurgitation. Try to burp your baby more frequently in order to reduce this.

Read more

There is no right no wrong. For mine, I feed on demand. They will stop when they feel full/cry when they need more. My baby takes very long to burp (if I persist, can go up to 30 mins 😵) so usually I burp for 5-10 mins then I lay her back in bed. I stopped burping her at 1mo. After feeding 10-15 mins I will lay her in tummy time position and she will burp herself. Spit ups is normal for newborns. My baby is only little this once, if she wants me to carry, mummy is always here. Anyways my baby stopped wanting to be carried at 4.5m…… she’s like a prata 🥲

Read more
2y ago

If you’re worried about over feeding, try reducing by 5ml each time to see if it’s better. Sometimes when they burp they tend to have abit of spit up which is also normal cause their disgestive system is still not matured yet. After feeding, let baby rest awhile before burping. Same theory as to if someone shakes you right after a meal you’ll probably throw up. 😅 The thing with newborn’s intake is that we really have to trial and error. I tried a few amounts before getting the amount right.